Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Sense of Humor Required

  1. #31
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    ... They're just so groovy looking...
    (which led to)

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    They do look terribly groovy in fact, esp sitting naked....
    (and the inevitable evolution);

    I've always wanted some horns shaped like the curvaceous mudflap lass from days of yore;

    1

    " Course I realize some here may have needs for wider dispersion (not callin' any names);

    2

    (It did say "Sense of Humor Required"...)
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    I think that's a combination of wide dispersion and low tuning.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sense of Humor Required


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Definitely a lot of bottom..
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #34
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Would you call those horns STRUMPETS?

  5. #35
    HB Super Moderator
    Sense of Humor Required


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish;1801913

    I've always wanted some horns shaped like the curvaceous mudflap lass from days of yore;

    [img
    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmcp/images/forum/700/imported/2009/12/1.gif[/img]



    (It did say "Sense of Humor Required"...)


    I prefer door number 1

  6. #36
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Getting back to some earlier stuff in the thread - Magnavox horns.
    I never cared much for them, but today I was doing some measuring of other horns and spied the Magnas on the shelf. Gave them a quick measure.

    Not as bad as I thought! Fairly flat and distortion is low above 3K. Problem is, distortion skyrockets below 3KHz. That's why I had such a hard time mating them to a 12" driver, as they were originally intended.

    But now I'm using them from about 5.5K up to fill in the top end and they sound quite nice. Not loud and splattery like before. I like them a lot up there. They roll off above about 14K. Nice tweeter, glad I didn't chuck 'em.

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sense of Humor Required


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    They really are not a bad unit. Just the power handling is so low.

    The Heppner version was a really popular DIY component.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Yeah I was kinda surprised at how nice they sound up high. Using them above 5K they sound rather nice - light and clean. Don't think I'll have much power trouble crossing up that high, but it's something I'll listen for.

    A hidden gem. Glad I gave them another chance. Funny thing is, I would not have given them another chance, without measuring them.

  9. #39
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    As I recall from an interview Bruce Edgar did with PWK Heppner was bought by Klipsch who was at the time interested in the Heppner "dhorm" tweeter. According to DJK the small format horn-drivers used on some later Klipsches such as Cornwall IIs, Heresy IIs, Epics and KLFs are based on the Heppner horn and having seen some of those Klipsch horns and having been a DIY user of the Heppners in the 1970s I believe him.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.